On this page:

  • New and Current Students in Our Programs
  • Other Students Enrolling in FLT Courses, including Lifelong
  • Special Enrollments: Overrides and Waitlists
  • Additional Questions and Situations including GradPlan

New and Current Students in Our Programs

If you have been accepted to the MA or Certificate program in Foreign Language Teaching, you can go to the Student Information System (SIS) during the time period when enrollment is available and enroll yourself in any FLT course, with the exception of FLT 885 Experiential Modules and FLT 898 Final Portfolios. MSU provides a detailed guide to using the new system here: https://sis.msu.edu/help/students

If you are enrolling in FLT 885 Experiential Modules or FLT 898 Final Portfolios, see further instructions below and in the D2L MAFLT Community. 

Other Students Enrolling in FLT Courses

If you are enrolled in a different graduate program at MSU or if you have applied to MSU as a Lifelong Learner, you will need an override to enroll in FLT courses. Please use the button above to access the Special Enrollments Request Form (formerly the Override Request Form). Based on enrollment, you may receive permission to enroll immediately or you may be added to a waitlist for that course. If you would like to learn about ways you can participate in the FLT Community other than the MAFLT degree, try the links below:

Special Enrollments - Overrides and Waitlists

If you see a notification that the course is full, that you need an override or permission, or that you should contact us for more information, please contact the program at maflt@cal.msu.edu and also fill out our internal Special Enrollments Request Form (button below). The Program Director and/or Academic Coordinator will contact you and provide further instructions. 

Additional Questions and Situations

What is GradPlan? 

When you choose your courses, follow the Course Planning Chart that you created in your first advising appointment with the Program Director. As of 2021, you are now expected to enter your plan in SIS under GradPlan. MSU provides instructions in this downloadable guide: GradPlan – Student View. We also provide further guidance in the D2L MAFLT Community.

What if your plan changes? 

If you need to change your course schedule or un-enroll from a course, you can usually make those changes yourself. You can also change your GradPlan. However, we strongly recommend that you make an appointment for advising (see maflt.cal.msu.edu/program-director) and submit an updated version of your Course Planning Chart. 

What if the class you want is full?

Current MAFLT students and others may ask to be added to the waitlist for a course that is listed as full. With sufficient demand, we will add a section or raise the maximum number of students (and add a course assistant). In these cases, you should fill out the Special Enrollments Form and also send an email to maflt@cal.msu.edu. Keep in mind that we will try to accommodate you, but filling out the request does not guarantee that we will be able to do so. 

Enrolling in FLT 885 Experiential Modules or FLT 898 Final Portfolios

Only MAFLT students can enroll in FLT 885. Only MAFLT and FLT Certificate students can enroll in FLT 898. You may need an override or permission in SIS to enroll. However, there are further steps to take that are explained in the D2L MAFLT Community and Handbook.

  • For FLT 885, you should fill out the EM Application form and make an advising appointment before trying to enroll. See MAFLT SharePoint and D2L Community. Links here: Current Student Resources.
  • For FLT 898 Final Portfolio (Comprehensive Exam), you should be in your last semester of the program. Make sure you have also applied for graduation through the MSU Registrar’s Office! More information at: Advanced Degrees | Commencement (msu.edu).

If you still have questions…

If you have further questions about enrolling, please email our office at: maflt@cal.msu.edu.