FLT Courses begin the week of January 9, 2022. All FLT courses run full semester, through May. See other important dates below.
This page will be updated as the semester approaches. Current Students, please keep your eyes out for messages via Teams and email.
FLT Courses Offered – Spring 2023
Methods of Foreign
Assessment in FLT
Culture (and Intercultural Competence) in FLT
Teaching with Technology
Literacy in a Foreign Language
MAFLT Students only – see special instructions
Final Portfolio /
MAFLT and Certificate students only – see special instructions
Dr. Amanda Lanier
Enroll in Courses
Please review our instructions for enrollment, even if you are an experienced FLT student. The MSU website for searching, enrolling, and reviewing academic status has changed! Current students in our FLT programs should also refer to MAFLT Students Home in SharePoint or Teams: michiganstate.sharepoint.com/sites/MAFLT.
What should you do if you cannot enroll in the course(s) you want or need? Complete our internal Special Enrollment Form. Click How to Enroll for further instructions.
Note: If you are trying to enroll in one of these courses and it does not appear in the Class Search (https://student.msu.edu), it will soon! If the course you want is full or the system says you need an override, see below.
Preparing for the Semester – Spring 2023
Your instructor will notify you when you have access to the course in D2L and Teams.
What textbooks do I need to order?
See course info in SIS > Class Search. [A new Course Materials Memo for FS22 will appear shortly.]
Why does D2L look different now?
Some courses are using the D2L Brightspace Lessons new user experience and some are not. If D2L looks a little unfamiliar, you can find help here:
- MAFLT SharePoint > Tech Tools in FLT Courses
- MAFLT YouTube Channel > D2L Playlist for FLT Students
What if I need to change or drop a course?
That is one of the updated topics in the new and improved Orientation Modules. Also see: MAFLT SharePoint > Enrollment Guide.
MAFLT Events in Spring 2023
- Spring 2023 Town Hall – January, exact date TBA – Students and alumni, join us to discuss the upcoming semester and program news and to see some recent portfolios and experiential module projects.
- Midweek Meetups – Every two weeks on Wednesdays. Open to the MAFLT Network and beyond.
- Conferences we are attending: See MAFLT Events page
- Graduation Events – if you want to walk in the MSU Commencement ceremony in May, let us know! You can come to East Lansing and walk in the ceremony if you are graduating in May 2023 OR December 2022 OR August 2023. Plan ahead! See this updated page for help: MAFLT Graduation and Commencement.
Important Dates in Spring 2023
MSU Academic Calendar + Academic Calendar via student.msu.edu
MAFLT Students SharePoint Site + Announcements via Teams > MAFLT Students
|1/9/2023||MSU Courses officially begin – also MAFLT Orientation for new students|
|1/13/2023||FLT courses will be opened online by this date – also last day of open enrollment|
|2/3/2023||Last day to drop a course with refund – by 8 p.m. Eastern! [3rd week of course]|
|3/1/2023||Last day to drop a course with no 0.0 grade reported – by 8 p.m. Eastern! [Midpoint]|
|3/6-3/10||Spring Break for MSU – FLT courses take a 1-week break|
|3/15/2023||Application deadline for Summer 2023 – MAFLT and FLT Grad Certificate|
|5/5/2023||End of semester for all courses (final due dates may be on or before 5/5/2023)|
|5/5/2023||Commencement – MA ceremony Friday 9:00 am + events for our graduates|
|5/10/2023||Final grades released via D2L and MSU SIS|