FLT Courses begin the week of May 16-20. All FLT courses run Full summer (May-August) in 2022. See other important dates below.
FAQ for FLT Students
What textbooks do I need to order?
See the Course Materials Memo – US22 for textbooks you might need to order, important updates and reminders, useful links, instructor contact info. Also see course info in SIS > Class Search.
Why does D2L look different now?
Some courses are using the D2L Brightspace Lessons new user experience and some are not. If D2L looks a little unfamiliar, you can find help here:
- MAFLT SharePoint > Tech Tools in FLT Courses
- MAFLT YouTube Channel > D2L Playlist for FLT Students
What if I need to change or drop a course?
That is one of the updated topics in the new and improved Orientation Modules. Also see: MAFLT SharePoint > Enrollment Guide.
New this Year – Certificate Option for MSU Students and Lifelong Learners
As of Fall 2021, students may participate in FLT courses by applying to the MAFLT Program, to the Graduate Certificate in Foreign Language Teaching, or as a Lifelong Learning student. Click Help to send a request for more information.
FLT Courses Offered – Summer 2022
- FLT 807 Methods of Foreign Language Teaching – Dr. Rajiv Ranjan
- FLT 808 Assessment in Foreign Language Teaching – Dr. Fred Poole
- FLT 815 Culture and Intercultural Competence – Dr. Amanda Lanier
- FLT 860 Foreign or Second Language Acquisition (F/SLA) – Dr. Fred Poole
FLT 841 Special Topics: Literacy in a Foreign Language
- FLT 881 Technology in FLT – Dr. Luca Giupponi
- FLT 885 Experiential Modules (MAFLT students only) – Dr. Bruna Sommer-Farias
- FLT 898 Final Portfolio/Comprehensive Exam (MAFLT and FLT Cert students only) – Dr. Amanda Lanier
Note: If you are trying to enroll in one of these courses and it does not appear in the Class Search (https://student.msu.edu), it will soon! If the course you want is full or the system says you need an override, see below.
MAFLT Events in Summer 2022
- Midweek Meetups – Every two weeks – Tuesdays 7-7:30 p.m. – Open to students, alumni, and others by invitation
- Graduation Events – the weekend of Commencement – Friday, May 6 – Those graduating in Fall 2021, Spring 2022, or Summer 2022 are encouraged to walk, but all recent alumni are welcome to events.
Enroll in Courses
Please review our instructions for enrollment, even if you are an experienced FLT student. The MSU website for searching, enrolling, and reviewing academic status has changed! Current students in our FLT programs should also refer to MAFLT Students Home in SharePoint or Teams: michiganstate.sharepoint.com/sites/MAFLT.
What should you do if you cannot enroll in the course(s) you want or need? Complete our internal Special Enrollment Form. Click How to Enroll for further instructions.
Important Dates in Spring 2022
MSU Academic Calendar + Academic Calendar via student.msu.edu
MAFLT Students SharePoint Site + Announcements via Teams > MAFLT Students
|5/16/2022||MSU Courses officially begin – FLT courses will be released by Friday, 5/20/22|
|6/1/2022||Application deadline for Fall 2022 – MAFLT and FLT Grad Certificate|
|TBA||Last day to add a course (Late fee unless you are a new student)|
|TBA||Last day to drop a course with refund – by 8 p.m. Eastern! [3rd week of course]|
|7/1/2022||Last day to drop a course with no 0.0 grade reported – by 8 p.m. Eastern! [Midpoint]|
|7/4/2022||Independence Day in U.S. – University closed|
|7/21/2022||Enrollment deadline for Fall 2022 – applies to current students, not new students|
|8/18/2022||MSU official end of classes for summer courses|
|8/23/2022||Final grades released via D2L and MSU SIS|
|8/31/2022||Fall 2021 official start of courses|